Five Things I’m Most Excited For in 2012
I’m a realistic person. Therefore, I don’t make New Year’s resolutions. Instead, I have taken a look at some of the things I’m most excited for in 2012. I didn’t have to think very hard to come up with this list, as these are all things I’ve been looking forward to for quite some time. 2012 is going to be a huge year.
5. London 2012 Olympic Games — July 27 – August 12: I was shocked at the following stat: I have only lived through six Summer Olympics, and only remember four of them. If I were to make a list of things I’ve taken for granted, Olympic Games would have to be toward the top. We’re talking about the greatest spectacle in all of sports, but for some reason, I’ve always watched them pretty passively. Not this year. I am going to watch every possible second of the 2012 Olympics. And, of course, I’ll be following the action closely on Twitter as well. Twitter + Olympics is going to make for a very exciting few weeks this summer.
4. Super Bowl XLVI — February 5: Everyone loves the Super Bowl, but this one is going to have special meaning to me. This year, the Super Bowl is coming to my backyard: the great city of Indianapolis. I definitely won’t be going to the game, but I’m hoping to take part in as many events leading up to the big game as I can. The city is going to be electric, which is exactly what we need after an absolutely miserable Colts season.
3. The Dark Knight Rises — July 20 (rumored): I can’t think of another movie franchise that has gotten me as stoked as the Batman series has. Batman Begins set the bar very high back in 2005, and The Dark Knight did not disappoint in the slightest three years later. I absolutely believe that The Dark Knight Rises is going to exceed my sky-high expectations this summer.
2. Getting an iPhone — February 19: The ultimate “first world” item on the wish list, isn’t it? I have been a die-hard BlackBerry user for almost four years now, but the time has come. I am tired of justifying why I still have a BlackBerry. For the past 6 months or so, I have had to pull out my battery at least twice a day. It bogs down to the point where it becomes unusable and a battery pull is the only option. The browser is laughable. iPhones and Droids get all the app love. No more. It’s time for an iPhone. February 19 is my upgrade date, so I’ll be counting down the days until I make the big switch (47…).
1. Becoming a Dad — July 15: My wife and I have been slowly releasing the big news over the past few weeks, but I made the big announcement to the world yesterday. It hasn’t really sunk in yet. When my wife told me she was pregnant a couple months ago, it felt like she had just told me what we were having for dinner. After a couple visits to the doctor, reality has slowly started to set in, but it still doesn’t seem real. I’m hoping for a boy, but I recently had a very vivid dream that I was playing with our little girl in the driveway. My gut tells me there’s an 80% chance it’s a girl, but we’ll know for sure sometime in late February. I’m just praying for health above all else. Huge (but awesome) changes forthcoming for the Burns family!
As I glance over this list, it’s going to be a very busy/exciting February and July. Let’s all have a terrific 2012!